For service hours earned during the summer, students may choose to have hours applied to either the prior year of the following year. (e.g. The summer following the freshman year can apply toward either the freshman or sophomore 40-hour requirement, or divided between the two as needed.) However, the summer before 8th grade year cannot be used. All activities must be pre-approved.
What is Silver Cord?
The Silver Cord Award is a distinguished award available to Mid-Prairie High School students who earn at least 140 hours of community service/volunteering by the Seniors last Friday of their graduating year.
Students may begin the Silver Cord Program the ﬁrst day of school during their 8th grade year.
The expected service hour breakdown is as follows:
9th grade = 20 hours
10th grade = 40 hours
11th grade = 40 hours
12th grade = 40 hours
Hours will be prorated for those students that move into the district after the beginning of the 9th grade year. If you are a current MPHS student and are wanting to begin the program, regardless of your current year, please see the Counselor or Principal for more details.
Those completing the requirements will receive a silver cord on Senior Class Night to wear on their robes for graduation in recognition of their achievement.
At the end of each service opportunity, students must complete a reflection by answering these questions on a Google Doc. Please title the Doc (First Name-Last Name-Service-Date)
1. What did I gain from the experience of volunteering my services?
2. How has this experience influenced my life and how was I helpful to others?
You are welcomed to add any pictures or videos to the reflection.
After you have completed the refection, place the Google Doc in your Silver Cord folder.
Service Activities Guidelines
Acceptable Service Activities
Students may earn up to 80 hours (total) volunteering for a MPCSD organization, group or club as long as:
- No varsity letter, school credit or grade is given
- Service hours are not expected as part of a membership to a club or group. (e.g. Volunteering hours required for any group or club will not count towards Silver Cord hours.)
- Silver Cord hours must be providing a service or meeting a clear need for a non-profit agency, church, school, park, charity program, fundraiser or community event. The service should be "above and beyond" one's usual scope of involvement.
80 hours must be earned outside of MPCSD school related involvement.
Non-Acceptable Service Activities
- Sports teams, managing/training
- Any assigned or expected activity from a coach or director
- Any activity that takes place during the normal school day
- Service to satisfy a class or required by any agency, program, or organization
- For a relative (that may not be available to other students)
- For pay or compensation of any kind
- Others at the discretion of the Silver Cord Committee