"An investment in our school is an investment in the future of our students and our local community."
School districts in rural Iowa were undergoing significant financial stress in the mid-1980's due to the Midwest farm crisis and shifts in population to urban areas. Traditional sources of school funding (property tax and state school funds) were shrinking. School closings and consolidation became a fact of life. The Mid-Prairie Foundation was formed in late 1987 by a group of concerned citizens as an Iowa non-profit corporation with the purpose of supporting the Mid-Prairie School District.
The Foundation qualifies with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, meaning all gifts to and through the Foundation are tax deductible.
PROJECTS OF THE FOUNDATION INCLUDE
- Awarding Endowed Scholarships to Graduating Seniors. $375,000+ has been awarded to 275+ Seniors in the last five years.
- Feed the Kids Program
- MP Indoor Facility
- Fund for Academic Excellence Endowment (Started by the Class of 1966)
- WCRF Grants. Awarded to Mid-Prairie
- Establishing a Mid-Prairie Alumni Association
- Teacher Annual Recognition
- School Assemblies
WHY DO WE NEED A SCHOOL DISTRICT FOUNDATION?
Your interest in, and willingness to contribute to the Mid-Prairie Community Schools can enrich our schools and our community. Private contributions are needed to maintain and improve the level of educational excellence Mid-Prairie students experience. Residents, alumni and other interested individuals of the Mid-Prairie Community School District can insure that our school remains a place where every student is served in the highest capacity possible.
WHAT WILL MY GIFT PROVIDE?
- Enhancement of academic programs
- Funding for faculty development
- Improved school facilities and projects
- Special community educational programs
WHO WILL DECIDE HOW FOUNDATION FUNDS ARE SPENT?
All decisions to be made by and on behalf of the Mid-Prairie Community School District Foundation will be made by its Board of Trustees. Advice on spending decisions will be solicited from the Board of Education and the School District Administration, as well as from the various support groups and the general public. Donors wishes will be honored whenever possible.
HOW WILL THE FOUNDATION AFFECT EXISTING SUPPORT GROUPS?
The Mid-Prairie Community School District Foundation is not a substitute for or an alternative to the various existing support groups. The Foundation is envisioned and designed as a working partner with all other support groups, such as Athletic, Music or Student Boosters.
The Foundation may provide a convenient avenue for channeling support group donations or the Foundation may provide direct financial assistance to any project established by the various support groups. The Foundation will not control, direct or supervise any existing support group.
WHAT METHODS DO I USE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE FOUNDATION?
- Cash, Securities, Real or Personal Property
- Bequests, Estates
- Life Insurance Agreements
- Donations of Educational Supplies and Equipment
- Living Trusts
- Life Income Contracts
- Testamentary Trusts
- Gifts from Class Reunions, Service Organizations and Businesses
- Employer-Sponsored Matching Gifts
- Grants/Awards from Corporations, Foundations, and Government Agencies
OUR PLEDGE TO YOU
The Foundation will manage and insure that your contribution will be used as intended. You may designate a specific area for an endowment gift out or you may give for an undesignated purpose. Endowment gifts, which allow the principal to grow, while using only the interest, are encouraged.
For more information contact Hayley Hershberger, Mid-Prairie Foundation President.
Visit the MP Dollars for Scholars site to donate and support the students of Mid-Prairie Community School District.
Foundation Board of Trustees
- Hayley Hershberger, president
- Gerry Beeler, vice president
- Junell Duwa, treasurer
- Luann Miller, secretary
- Phyllis Casper, Scholarship Secretary
- Jody Drozd, member
- Elisa Lyons, member
- Katie Miller, member
- Nicole Naraine, member
- Doug Slaubaugh, member
- Jeremy Statler, member
- Christian Swartzentruber, member
- Greg Gent, member