Home Schooling in Iowa
Joining a Home School Assistance Program (HSAP) is one of 5 legal options under Iowa law in which a family may home school. A school district which elects to provide a HSAP must provide an Iowa – licensed teacher to supervise the enrolled families. The teacher must have sixteen (16) supervising contacts with the enrolled family throughout the school year. Eight (8) of the contacts must be face-to-face, but the remaining eight (8) contacts may be by phone or e-mail. A HSAP may provide other optional services, but all HSAP’s must provide the required certified teacher supervision of home schooled families.
The 5 options for home schooling in Iowa are:
- Option 1- Home Schooling using a supervising teacher
- Option 2- Home Schooling as part of the public school's Home School Assistance Program
- Option 3- Home Schooling under the Private Instruction Exemption, and choosing to file the Form A (for dual enrollment)
- Option 4- Home Schooling under the Private Instruction Exemption, and choosing NOT to file the Form A
- Option 5- Home Schooling under the Independent Private Instruction option